Kitchel has time and again demonstrated a clear, practical
sense of public service and constituent representation. She
has shown the unique ability to approach problem-solving in
a nonpartisan manner and to work well with an array of legislators
and other public officials."
Jay Barrett, Fairlee Community Leader
Presented to the full Senate for action, all the major 2006
legislation authorizing benefits, services and awards to Vermont
Secured funding to help the towns of Orange and Topsham with
legal costs incurred with property appraisal lawsuit.
Helped Walden secure the needed right-of-way from the Agency
of Transportation for its fire station.
• Assisted RCT, our public transportation provider,
to obtain a better payment method from the state to reduce
its debt and to stabilize its financial situation.
•Helped West Fairlee obtain corrected school aid payments.
• Was successful in getting new and legible replacement
signage on I-91 from Wells River to Lyndonville added to the
2007 list of highway projects.
• Helped create legislation to strengthen Vermont’s
private property rights.
• Was lead sponsor of bill protecting town water supplies
and lowering taxes on watershed lands.
• Sponsored and negotiated legislation to overhaul
Vermont's child welfare and juvenile delinquency laws to better serve children and their families.
• Expanded Vermont's Victims Compensation Benefits to include victims of crimes committed by minors.
• Sponsored legislation to create a Gold Star license plate for immediate family members of those veterans
killed in combat while serving our nation.
• Co-Chair, Commission on Health Care Reform which is charged with studying and making recommendations to the
Legislature on health care reform policy.
• Appointed to the Vermont Child Poverty Council which was created to identify initiatives that will reduce the
number of Vermont children living in poverty.
• Chaired a special transportation committee charged with the updating of Vermont's definition of railroad crossings
and clarifying the legal obligations of property owners and rail operators.
• Secured funding approval for Walden School roof repairs and worked to change state contracting rules for small school
repair projects that essentially shut out many local contractors.
• Assisted the Town of Fairlee in its efforts to treat and control the milfoil infestation in Lake Morey.